Glenn Miller Orchestra directed by Wil Salden – In The Mood
After the disappearance of Glenn Miller in 1944, the band was reconstituted under the direction of Tex Beneke, its lead tenor saxophonist, singer, and one of Miller’s longtime close friends. A few years later, the Miller estate, having parted ways with Beneke over creative differences, hired Ray McKinley, principal drummer in Miller’s Army Air Force band, to organize a new “ghost band” in 1956.
Hollywood contributed to the band’s popularity and that of its founder and original members with the 1953 release of The Glenn Miller Story on the big screen. The band garnered award nominations and box office success, as well as top hit status for its soundtrack album in 1954.
The Glenn Miller Orchestra has recorded and performed under various leaders, from 1956 to this day. Singer Nick Hilscher became the director of the touring band in 2012, replacing previous director Gary Tole.
Current as of 2019
- Nick Hilscher – Male Vocalist and Music Director
- Hannah Truchenbrod – Female Vocalist
- Kevin Sheehan – Lead Alto Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute, Arranger
- Michael Paglione – 2nd Alto Saxophone, Clarinet
- Erik Stabnau – Tenor Saxophone 1, Clarinet, Flute
- Jon Olejnik – Tenor Saxophone 2, Clarinet, flute
- Connor Baba – Baritone Saxophone, Alto Saxophone, Bass Clarinet, Flute
- Ashley Hall – Lead Trumpet
- Matthew Gates – Split Lead /2nd Trumpet
- Alex Piela – Jazz/3rd Trumpet
- Christopher Stein – Trumpet /4th Trumpet
- George Reinert III – Lead Trombone
- Bryce ‘Chip’ Tingle – 2nd Trombone
- Michael Madden – 3rd Trombone
- Justin Bain – Bass Trombone, 4th Trombone
- Bryon McCord – Piano
- Tony Fidyk – Drums
- Aaron Krings – Upright Bass